Friday, November 1, 2013

First Person

There is something powerful about writing in the "first person."  A personal experience always teaches us more than receiving news, tips, or ideas second-hand. 

Although cancer is not one of those experiences anyone wants to experience first hand, most women who receive a breast cancer diagnosis will eventually want to talk to other women who have made the journey.  These first person experiences and tips will have a more profound effect upon their healing, and be more inspiring, too.

As I was writing Husband's Guide to Breast Cancer I not only employed my own first person experiences into the mix, but also interviewed dozens of other men. They each had a personal story to tell, and these first-person accounts are, I believe, one of the most compelling features of the book.

In fact, I interviewed far more men than I could use in the book.  So in case you are wondering what other men experience in this support-role, take a tip from this first person account:

Originally, when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, I tried to keep it a secret.  I don't know, I wasn't embarrassed or ashamed, but there was something about this that seemed so personal, and maybe I was wanting to guard my wife's privacy.  But I was with some friends one night watching a football game on TV and suddenly I found myself announcing that _______ (my wife) had breast cancer.  We spent the next fifteen minutes talking about this, and I really felt supported by my friends.  One of the guys told me his wife was a breast cancer survivor.  I never knew this.  It was all rather humbling.  But I learned that it's important to talk about these things.  Otherwise, we just feel alone in it.  My wife knew this, but it took me some time to learn the lesson.
~Ron 

No comments:

Post a Comment